Sunday 8 May 2011

Waking up to Day 9.



I just woke up so I haven't been able to get any photos of today. I'll just tell you our plans for today and give a culture oddity. I'll make a longer post later today.

Today we're going to finally make use of our Japan Rail Pass and head all the back into the west to the city of Nara. There we'll be meeting up with another of Matt's friends, Hiroki. Like Yusuke, Hiroki is an exchange student Matt met during school. He lives in Nara I believe so I guess we can relax for the day and not worry bout making plans and just let him be the tour guide ;P

Daily Culture Oddity


This is a pufferfish hanging outside a sushi restaurant back in Osaka. This isn't that uncommon of a knowledge but I'll post bout it anyway. The Japanese and the culinary delight of sushi almost always involves raw fish. This ranges from salmon to things like Octopus. Now there is one type of fish that is quite infamous, that is Fugu otherwise known as the Pufferfish.

Why is it infamous? Simply cuz preparing the wrong piece of meat on the wrong part of the fish can cause instant death. Because of that only the master chef of the restaurant may prepare the fish, and even then the slightest mistake can kill you.

While in Osaka, we actually passed by a few restaurants with fish tanks being displayed in the window of the restaurant. But I didn't think of taking a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment